Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Not my new apartment


Reception, originally uploaded by lilwilli.

I think I assumed that after I moved my first photo posted would be of my new apt. This is not my new apartment;-)

I was hired (at my present job) to photograph our company 5th anniversary party. I was thrilled to be asked, considering I have only been here a little over a month (and they were going to pay me). As soon as I realized these photos were not just going to be for friends of mine, I started to freak out a bit. I have never been able to take successful flash photographs, and I knew I was going to HAVE to for this event.

I began reading all things flash (besides strobist because I do not have an off camera flash system). I needed to know how to light appropriately with my on-camera flash. It's always been so frustrating to me that the photo looks flat, blown out, or some other form of ugliness. Finally I found this site http://planetneil.com/tangents/ where he gives a great over view on how to do on-camera flash lighting(fill lighting) while including ambient light.

Basically, it helped me understand what I was doing wrong. I think I was able to take some decent shots at the party. This is one of them. This was an orchid wall that was glued to the glass reception area. I like this photo mostly because you cannot really tell whether what you are looking at is a reflection or whether it is actually there.

~here you go T~ thanks! :)

No comments: